Sunday, August 14, 2011

Screenprinting Intensive Course with Paula Mc Loughlin

I have just finished the first day of a 2 day introductory course in Silkscreen Printing. I was curious to find out more about this printmaking technique which is so different to the two printmaking mediums I work in -collography and etching. The course is run by Paula Mc Loughlin at the Ola Cohn Centre, Melbourne. This is a very old building (prevously the Cobb and Co coach house) which has been fitted out to function as a screenprinting facility. Paula is an excellent teacher and all the participants (some of whom had not previously done any printmaking) managed to get the hang of the basic techniques and produce some encouraging first pieces.
We printed on fabric as most participants come to the classes for this purpose but as I'm also interested in printing on paper, Paula will guide me with this during our second session. I like the the vibrant colours that you can work with and the fact that the inks are water based. However, cleaning the screens is quite a big job. I was quite filthy at the end of our class!

We don't have screen printing facilities at the Firestation Print Studio where I work so I'm not sure if I'll continue with the technique but I am enjoying learning this medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment